Every woman deserves to feel confident about the way she looks. Pursuit of a more pronounced feminine shape, symmetry, and flattering proportions are often the reasons why women choose to undergo breast augmentation, a process of placing saline or silicone implants within the breasts to increase their size and refine their shape. Dr. John Tyrone can assess your breast augmentation candidacy at his Jacksonville practice, and explain all the options available to you. To get started, contact Dr. Tyrone today.
There is more to breast surgery candidacy than physical considerations. First and foremost, breast augmentation should be something you want to do for yourself. It is perfectly valid to want to increase your breast size so that you can feel comfortable wearing more feminine and flattering clothes, and to feel more self-confident in a bathing suit. Many women simply wish to look more like they did before they lost breast volume after having children, or after losing a significant amount of weight. But you should not undergo any kind of cosmetic surgery because someone else thinks you should, or because you think you must conform to someone else's standards.
Next, be sure that you are making an informed decision. Breast surgery involves a certain amount of risk (though choosing an experienced surgeon can minimize those risks). After surgery, recovery will involve some discomfort and downtime. It also will take some time for your implants to settle and look their best. After recovery, you will need to monitor your breast implants for leakage or hardening, and eventually they may need to be replaced. If these conditions are acceptable to you, you are probably a good candidate.
Meanwhile, you need to have realistic expectations about breast augmentation. Cosmetic surgery offers improvement, not perfection; still, the benefits can be significant.
Of course, a patient's health and physical traits are also important factors to consider. In general, breast augmentation candidates should:
- Be in good physical health.
- Not expect to correct significant droopiness. In this case, a breast lift, with or without implants, might be a better choice.
- Meet certain age requirements. In order to receive saline implants, a patient must be at least 18 years old or have a parent or legal guardian sign for you. If a patient desires silicone implants, she must be at least 22 years old or sign an informed consent waiver.
- Be a non-smoker, or at least be willing to stop for a period before and after surgery. Nicotine can inhibit the ability of the body to heal.
- Not be pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Not have breast cancer.
- Not have an active infection anywhere in the body.
For the right candidates, breast augmentation surgery can be a profoundly satisfying decision. The vast majority of women who have had the procedure report improved self-esteem and confidence, as well as a better quality of life. Your personal satisfaction is Dr. Tyrone’s primary goal, and he will spend the time it takes to make sure you are fully informed about your procedure. To schedule a personal consultation, contact our office today.